Thursday, September 17, 2009

First fondant cake.




I have recently started course 3 of the Wilton cake classes. This week I had to cover my first cake in fondant. It was and adventure, and I ended up about three steps behind everyone else. First, I was kneading out the fondant to make it pliable, it seemed to be pliable enough, so I put Crisco on my rolling mat, and started rolling my fondant out. This was very difficult for three main reasons. First, I did not knead my fondant out enough so it was very hard. Second, I sprained my wrist while skating, so trying to push on the rolling pin, was painful. Third, I did not put enough Crisco on the rolling mat, so the fondant was sticking to it. When I finally got the fondant rolled out, with a little help from Mamma, and I went to put it on the cake and take off the rolling mat, when I realized that it was sticking to my mat, so I slowly pulled off the rolling mat. When I got the mat off, my fondant was rough, but it would work. I put on the decorations, and I really like the way it turned out, imperfections and all. The most important thing is that I learned from it, I’m sure I will always make sure that my fondant is kneaded out well, and that my mat has plenty of Crisco.

5 comments:

Lucie Manette said...

It's lovely!!! Funny, but we were just watching "The Ultimate Cake-Off" and they had this huge mishap with fondant. Looked like a nightmare. Anyway, congratulations and I'm sorry about your wrist! Roller-skating?

I've been meaning to email you two, but haven't gotten around to it... just thought you might be interested to know that my parents decided that I could read the Jane Austen books...so I've read Pride and Prejudice and Sense and Sensibility. ;)

Gloria Furman said...

Denielle, this cake is precious! Please please please share everything you are learning from your Wilton classes. I've been on their site trying to pick up some tips for cookie decorating and working with fondant. Someone asked me to create some fondant animals for baby shower cupcakes and I'm stuck using "Regalice Icing" because they don't sell fondant here. :(

The Poetry Lady said...

Lucie, Thank you so much, I'm glad you like the cake. Yes I think I sprained my wrist while rollerskating (homeschool day :D). It wasn't very bad though. It's all better now. I'm glad you have been able to read Jane Austen. They are great right?

Mrs. Furman, It's to bad that you can not find fondant. It is really fun to play with. A fun site that you can go to to get ideas, recipes and tips is www.cakecentral.com. You can probably find a recipe to make fondant on there to. As far as me teaching you all I know, if you pay for a plane ticket, I will teach you everything and be a Nanny to boot! :)

Näna said...

THIS IS JUST DARLING! My Mom just LOVES pink and brown! I made a fondant cake once. It was a lot of fun. I love decorating cakes! Although, I don't have as much time as I would like to make them.

My sister and I took a cake decorating class at a local backery once, and it was an awesome way to learn. Watching the pros work!

Good luck on your future classes!

Nana

Marian said...

That's a really cute cake! I'd love to learn how to decorate like that. :)